2013 Winter Family Weekend
Like the COGWA Winter Family Weekend Facebook page to get updates now and during the event!
November 21 Update:
- The schedule of events is now posted. See the "Schedule" tab on the top navigation bar above.
- We will be webcasting church services on Dec. 28 for any members or congregations who might like to join in. Services will begin at 2:30 p.m. Eastern time. Further instructions will follow soon.
- HOW TO WIN A FREE NIGHT—The theme of the Saturday night adult dance (for high school grads to grandparents) is “Biblical Times,” so come in modest dress as anything connected with the Bible. If you’re the “best costume” winner, you will receive one night of your stay complimentary!
- Something new this year—Sky Zone Indoor Trampoline Park! For the first time we have added this activity for our preteens and teens. A liability waiver is required for each jumper and will be provided at the information booth to everyone who plans to attend. You can go to http://www.skyzonesports.com to read more about what is available. We need to have a reasonably accurate count in advance, so please let us know if your preteen or teen plans to participate in this activity. You will need to let us know when you register. If you have already registered, please update your registration to reflect this. You can log back into your registration by following the instructions at the bottom of the confirmation email message you were sent when you registered. If you cannot find that email message, please contact email@example.com and clearly identify which registration you need to update and what changes need to be made.
- For those desiring to sing in the WFW Youth Choir (teens or young adults), you can find a link on the navigation bar above where you will be able to download your part to learn before arriving in Louisville. Due to copyright issues, the page is password-protected. Contact your local pastor for the login information.
- For all young adults—Want to have a direct part in contributing to the work of the Church? After the Friday night Bible study, all interested young adults (18 to 30-something) are invited to discuss an idea that has generated a lot of “possibility thinking” about how our young adults can effectively use video to speak peer-to-peer about God’s way of life. Please make plans to meet with Clyde Kilough in the Willis Room in the Galt House where you’ll see some sample videos, hear details of how this can be accomplished, be able to give feedback, and brainstorm a bit. The Media department of COGWA is excited about this idea, and we think you will be too!
November 11 Update:
Services on December 28 will be at 2:30 p.m. Eastern Time. We will be webcasting for any people or congregations who would like to connect.
October 30 Update:
We had hoped to have more detailed information about all activities and educational seminars out by this date; however, due to some details that are yet to be completed we will not be posting the information until the middle of November. Thanks for your patience.
• When is it?
The Winter Family Weekend runs from Tuesday evening, Dec. 24, through Saturday night, Dec. 28, 2013—so it’s more than just a weekend! We start things off with a family dance on Tuesday night, and then the games and seminars begin on Wednesday morning. There will be countless seminars and activities—truly something for everyone.
• Where is it?
The Galt House Hotel and Conference Center
140 N. Fourth St.
Louisville, KY 40202
• Do I need to register? And if so, how do I do that?
Yes, please register (beginning on Oct. 14) by going to http://members.cogwa.org/wfw/registration/ Make .your check payable to COG-Louisville and mail it to COG-Louisville, P.O. Box 1598, Louisville, KY 40201-1598. (Payment should be sent before Dec. 17.) The registration system will allow you to edit your registration later if changes come up, so please go ahead and register now! We ask that each person register separately if they will be on any of the teen or adult basketball or volleyball teams, as that is a great help in planning. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or problems registering.
• How much does it cost?
All attendees (aged 13 and up) will pay a WFW event fee of $10. There is no charge for anyone under the age of 13. Additional charges are as follows:
Men’s basketball $15
(This fee includes men choosing to also play volleyball)
Sports (any and all sports for those 13 and up) $10
(This fee is for those who are not also playing men’s basketball)
The maximum charge per family (all living under one roof) is $100.
• What are the housing costs?
Our discounted rate is $63 per night per room. Reservations can be made beginning on Monday, Oct. 14. To obtain the Church’s rate, please make online reservations at https://resweb.passkey.com/go/FAMWKND2013 (also available on the WFW website). Only make reservations by phone (502-589-5200 or 1-800-The-Galt) if you have trouble making them online. If you call, be sure to identify yourself as a member of the Church of God, a Worldwide Association, coming for the Winter Family Weekend.
• Where can I find out more about activities?
Detailed information about all activities and educational seminars will be posted on the Winter Family Weekend website (http://members.cogwa.org/wfw) by the end of October. Here are the website addresses of the venues we will be using: www.galthouse.com and wherethegameis.com.
• What is this year’s theme?
The theme this year is “Escape From the World—Living a Godly Life in Satan’s World.” Escape From Alcatraz, Escape From New York and Escape From LA are all Hollywood movies built around the theme of escaping from some type of incarceration to freedom. Throughout the Bible, we are told to come out of or overcome the world. In 1 John 2:15-17 we are reminded, “Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.” This instruction gives us the direction to true lasting freedom from this world’s captivity.
• What are the dance themes?
- Teen Dance (grades 7-12 only)—“A Night at the Circus”—dress (modestly) in anything connected with a circus, or wear nice casual.
- Adult Dance (high school grads and up)—“Biblical Times”—dress (modestly) in anything connected with Bible, or wear nice casual.
- Family Dance—“Support your Team”—dress in modest clothing that supports your favorite professional or college sports team, or wear nice casual.
• Who do I contact for “singles in the middle” activity information?
Please contact Rob Stanchi at Rob@econtrols.us to discuss any activities planned, ideas you have or to volunteer to serve.
• Who do I contact about participating in special music?
We will have four musical numbers for Sabbath services, including a teen/young adult choir selection. If you would like to participate in the choir or if you would like to perform, please contact the music coordinator, Dave Myers, at email@example.com.
Be sure to check the Winter Family Weekend Website, http://members.cogwa.org/wfw on a ,regular basis for updated information!